How do you choose the right MC?
By Lorraine Wright, The Wright Celebrant
If you’re planning your wedding, have you started to think about who you’ll ask to be your MC for your reception?
It’s one of the key roles on your wedding day, because a fantastic MC will have a big impact on the atmosphere and flow of your event.
- Ideally, you want someone outgoing and bubbly, who’ll bring a ‘feel-good-factor’ and really connect with your guests.
- At the same time, you don’t want someone who’s going to steal the limelight or make it all about them; after all, it’s your day.
- Your MC needs to be confident and articulate, so they can carry it off with ease. You know what they say about public speaking – many people dread it more than anything else! So, it’s important to choose someone who will enjoy the role, and not be a bundle of nerves.
- And, because your MC is your facilitator on the day/night, you need to know you can rely on them to be across all the details. They should map out a plan with you beforehand, and keep everything (and everyone) on track during the event. That means they need to be proactive about liaising with your photographer, videographer, venue team or caterers, DJ or musicians, and any guests you’ve asked to make a speech, so you can enjoy every moment and not feel rushed, or anxious about when things are supposed to happen.
If you’re not sure who to ask to be your MC, or don’t want to put that kind of pressure onto a family member or friend, here’s a suggestion for you: why not consider asking your marriage celebrant?
- Your celebrant is someone who totally gets your vision for your wedding, and is dedicated to helping you bring it to life.
- Wedding celebrants speak professionally for a living; most are outgoing and bubbly, and great with detail.
- Not only that, you’ll have gotten to know each other pretty well by the time your wedding comes around, so it will feel more like you’ve asked a friend to be your MC. Plus they’ll have the chance to build a rapport with your guests during your ceremony, so having them carry on as your MC is a great way to make everything seamless. It could be the perfect solution for you.
At the end of the day, I’m sure whoever you choose will be honoured to be MC for your wedding reception, and will do their best to bring their A-game for you.
Have an amazing wedding!